3/13/2011

Saying Goodbye

I recently said goodbye to my sweet Lily girl, my best friend for the past 11 years. I can't remember a time when I have ever felt such intense pain and hurt. I know it was time to let her go but it felt like a part of me was gone along with her. Anyone who has ever had a pet can likely relate to my grief. Dogs become a part of our families, Lily was my baby, even when she was 11 years old. Lily is the first dog I have ever had on my own. I adopted her from PAWS when she was about 10 weeks old. I can remember when I first saw her, her white chest and sweet golden face. I knew she was going home with me and the love affair began. I was told she would be about 35 pounds full grown. 85 pounds later she was my big, beautiful Lily Girl.  She saw me at my best and worst, and loved me etiher way. She was always waiting for me at the door when I came home, tail wagging. She was a constant in my life and no matter what was happening in my life, she could make me feel better. She knew when I was scared, when I needed comfort, and sometimes when I just needed to be left alone. She accepted my son the day I brought him home and protected him and tolerated being his play toy for several years.

I want to thank my wonderful vet, Dr. Whiteside and staff at Wynn Haven Animal Clinic for caring for her for all her years. Dr. Whiteside remembered when he first saw Lily when she was 11 weeks old and weighed 9 pounds. And I especially want to thank him for making her last moments so peaceful and taking good care of her on her next journey. It meant the absolute world to me and to her as well I'm sure.

Thank you for loving me unconditionally and bringing so much joy to my life! The love is truly immeasurable! I miss you so much already, Lily! But I know you are never too far away. Always in my heart!






I'm Still Here


Friend, please don't mourn for me
I'm still here, though you don't see.
I'm right by your side each night and day
...and within your heart I long to stay.
My body is gone but I'm always near.
I'm everything you feel, see or hear.
My spirit is free, but I'll never depart
as long as you keep me alive in your heart.

I'll never wander out of your sight-
I'm the brightest star on a summer night.
I'll never be beyond your reach-
I'm the warm moist sand when you're at the beach.
I'm the colorful leaves when fall comes around
and the pure white snow that blankets the ground.
I'm the beautiful flowers of which you're so fond,
The clear cool water in a quiet pond.

I'm the first bright blossom you'll see in the spring,
The first warm raindrop that April will bring.
I'm the first ray of light when the sun starts to shine,
and you'll see that the face in the moon is mine.
When you start thinking there's no one to love you,
you can talk to me through the Lord above you.
I'll whisper my answer through the leaves on the trees,
and you'll feel my presence in the soft summer breeze.

I'm the hot salty tears that flow when you weep
and the beautiful dreams that come while you sleep.
I'm the smile you see on a baby's face.
Just look for me, friend, I'm everyplace!


--from a poem to a departed petSee More

No comments: